Love With A Chance of Drowning : A Partial Book Review






Dear Torre (and Ivan),

My kindle e-reader says 80%. I’m almost finished with your book Love with A Chance of Drowning. I can go and finish the remaining 20% before writing this to you, but I feel like I need to do it now.

I’ve been waiting for the release of your book for almost a year now. I can not even remember anymore how I came to know about it, but as soon as I read the synopsis and the great reviews, I knew I had to read it right away. Unfortunately, the book was already sold out and there was no kindle format back then. But a year has passed, and I’m just loving every minute of reading it. Being transported to the ocean, to the gorgeous paradise islets of the South Pacific, to the friends you’ve made along the way, and to those funny and sweet moments you and Ivan shared.

But I think it was a good thing that I’m reading this now and not last year.

You see I also did my own adventure, it’s nothing like you adventure junkies sailing the South Pacific, but I also had my own. Like you guys, I left the familiar and bravely (fearfully) threw myself out of my comfort zone. I went on a five month backpacking adventure through Asia. 

I can not only relate to you, Torre, but also to Ivan. I feel for Ivan’s sense of adventure and love for nature and isolation. I live for those moments when there’s no one else around me like when I find myself walking along the edge of the Himalayas mountains alone, and just enjoying the view of its gorgeous peaks. I also know how it feels like to have your parents question your decision. I knew, in a similar way, how it feels like to resent the fact that I can’t fully enjoy my adventures because I’m making someone worry. And he said it spot on. I understand that they’re worried, but I also feel guilty that my happiness is costing them a good night’s sleep or a good five months of peaceful sleep.

But I also feel for you, Torre, in so many ways.

First is that I’m scared of the ocean, or any form of water that’s deep. I can climb and walk for days, but I’m too scared to be in the waters (especially when I can’t touch the ocean floor anymore) for more than 30 minutes. And I admire how you’ve overcome that fear in so many ways. And it’s because of your book that I’ve decided to give swimming lessons another try. And more than that, I might learn how to dive before the year ends. Thank you, you have no idea how much you’ve pushed and inspired me to face this great fear of mine. 

Second is that I also fell in love once with a man who loves adventure. We traveled for months together, we shared great and bad experiences, we lived in crammed rooms almost every night. We both love isolated towns and places, so I know how it feels like to not allow any issue unresolved before the day ends. I wasn’t supposed to be traveling with him again after the first month we spent together, I also had fears of my own. But I took a leap of faith and I’ve never regretted doing it. Even though it has ended, even though there’s still some pain left from its ending. You have reminded me how lucky I’ve been to have shared a memorable experience with someone truly special. There really is nothing like it at all.

Lastly are those moments when you knew you made the right choice. I will not give more details here so as not to spoil the excitement of those who haven’t read your book yet. But yes, some of the best moments when I travel are the sunsets, and they are different each and every day.

And you make me laugh so hard with your stories. It’s not just in the way you write those stories down, but it’s really more of the way you see things and how you deal with them. I’m not even sure if I’m the only person who laughed when you were describing the way the children killed and cleaned up the fish. lol

I’m glad I had to wait almost a year to read your book. Because now I have more appreciation for the adventure I did almost two years ago.

Thank you for making me laugh, for inspiring me to face my own fears and for sharing your great and amazing adventure. 

Most importantly, thank you for reminding me that sometimes the best life experiences start with a leap of faith.

Now let me get back to finishing that remaining 20%.



Truly Grateful,

Angelica



P.S. 

I’m not so sure if it will ever be released here in the Philippines. But I already ordered a paper copy of the book (Amazon's shipping it now!). It’s just one of those books that I know deserves to be kept in its authentic form, and one that I can always pick up and read all over again.




Posted on : May 17, 2013

--------------------------------------------------------------

NEW BLOG!

Hey everyone! I'm moving to a new blog address : www.angelicacruzph.com
Same content but with some changes in design and layout. I'll still be keeping this one but will begin posting new stuff in the new blog. See you there!

You can still find me at the following:
Email : anggetravels.blog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment