Indian Visa Application for Pinoys





Although there is already a Tourist Visa-on-Arrival for Filipinos who are traveling to India, I just thought that it would be better to get it here. The process is pretty easy and the people there are really nice and helpful, as opposed to some of the forums I read. And as with any visa application, it is best to:

(1) Be PREPARED
(2) Be EARLY
(3) Read the requirements and guidelines CAREFULLY
(4) NEVER ASSUME that your interpretation of the requirements is correct.


PRE-APPLICATION PROCESS/REQUIREMENTS

- Passport valid up to 6 months and photocopy
- 2 recent passport size photos
- Filled-up application form (as much as possible do not write down N/A, use 'No' or 'None 'instead)
- Air Ticket or Booking Confirmation
- Return Ticket or Airline computer print-out with ticket numbers
- Proof of financial standing (recent bank statement, sponsorship letter, etc.)
- Photocopies of all original documents

BE EARLY

Now that you’ve completed all the requirements and you’re ready to go to the Embassy, I strongly suggest that you be there early or at least be there right before it opens. Receiving time is only in the morning from 9:30 am to 12:00 noon.

The Embassy is located in Dasmarinas Village. You can only enter via the Magallanes entrance near the MRT station. No private cars or taxis are allowed inside. You are required to wait for the van that will bring you to the Embassy. And mind you, it is NOT FREE. The van will take you first to the village’s Town Hall, there you will pay the Php150 transportation fee (Why Php150? I really have no idea. I get the need to ride a van instead of walking to the Embassy, for the villagers’ safety. But the fee, in my personal opinion, is too much. But it’s their rule and we just really have to comply.)

Once you’re inside the embassy, which is a relatively small room, try to sit at the first aisle near Counter 1. There are only two counters: Counter 1 (left) are for non-Indian nationals and Counter 2 (right) are for Indian nationals. Why the first aisle? Because they will only give out the number cards upon opening of the counters. So even though you were there before 9:30 am (like I was) but is seated at the back - you will not get a good number card. And think of the travel agents, who bring five applications at a time, who you’ll be competing with. I got number 17, because (1) I sat at the back and (2) went to Counter 2 first because there were less people going there to get number cards. But no, Counter 2 is only for Indian nationals. I really looked funny back then thinking I was smart for going to Counter 2. hahaha

After almost an hour, my number was called. And then I realized that I should have:

READ THE REQUIREMENTS AND GUIDELINES CAREFULLY/ NEVER ASSUME

Background: My itinerary is Manila - Kota Kinabalu – Kuala Lumpur – Singapore – Kuala Lumpur – India – Kathmandu – Bangkok – Vietnam/Laos/Myanmar.

One of the requirements is a RETURN TICKET. I initially thought that an ONWARD TICKET is already enough. So what I only presented along with the other requirements are my KL-DELHI and DELHI-KATHMANDU ticket print-outs. Then the lady said:

‘Mam, kumpleto na requirements mo. Pero kelangan ko yung return ticket mo.’ (Your requirements are almost complete, except that I need your return ticket back to Manila.)

‘Pero sa December pa po ang balik ko. Hindi ko pa po alam kung saan ako manggagaling.’ (But I’m going back here December. I haven’t decided yet on where I’ll be coming from.) Feeling-backpacker-mode moment. ;p

‘Bagong requirement po kasi ng Immigration. Lahat ng Embassies dito nirerequire sa mga visa applicants ang return ticket. Matagal pa naman po biyahe ninyo, balik na lang kayo.’ (It’s a new requirement by the Bureau of Immigration. All embassies are now requiring visa applicants to provide their return tickets. Your trip is still weeks from now, just go back after you’ve completed everything.)

‘Naku, eh aalis na po ako first week ng October at wala na po akong time para bumalik pa.’ (But I’m leaving Manila first week of October. I won’t have time to go back here again.)

‘Sorry po, ma’am. Bagong requirement kasi. At kelangan ko rin po pala ung ticket mo palabas ng Manila at papuntang Kuala Lumpur.’ (I’m really sorry, but it’s a new requirement. And I also need your ticket getting out of Manila and going to Kuala Lumpur.)

So there I was panicking a little bit. It was almost quarter to 11 and I have only an hour to go out, book a ticket, and go back again. I couldn’t take a leave from work anymore since I was closing a deal before the end of the month, and for other important (read: reimbursable leaves which means more travel funds for me) reasons. Plus I just wasn’t willing to pay another Php150 just to get inside the village again.

Thank God for helpful security guards. He told me to just walk 2 blocks to the Makati exit (near SM and Glorietta) and not wait for the van anymore. He also told me to just present my Php150 transpo fee receipt to the guard so that I can go back via that exit again.

So there I was walking fast (and sometimes running) just to get out of the village and find an internet shop. After booking an expensive ticket - Cebu Pacific quotes one-way tickets from an international destination to Manila in USD, and their exchange rate is Php45/USD! I was back in the embassy again at 11:15 am. I got a #14 card, but the number on the wall says they’re currently serving #24. Apparently, the number card is only up to #34 and starts from #5 again after that. Good thing the guy beside me explained that as long as they give you a card before 12 noon, you will be entertained.

At 12:55pm my number was called again. Aside from the return ticket, I also presented my MNL – Kota and Kota – Kuala Lumpur ticket print-outs. Good thing I brought all my tickets with me that day. After checking all the requirements, the lady handed me a receipt for the Php2,100 visa fee indicating that the visa will be ready for pick-up 3 working days after. Yay!! :)

Three days after, I rode a van again and paid another Php150, and picked-up my passport. Receiving time is only in the afternoon from 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm. Yes, another Php150, which is actually the reason why I wanted to finish the application process in one day.

So there you go. I hope this helps in your Indian Visa application. Remember, be early and sit at the front aisle near Counter 1, be prepared, and read the list of requirements carefully. And try to finish it in one day. ;)

*Important Note: The Immigration also requires a return ticket when you leave Manila. Yes, they will ask for it in the airport and they will confirm it with the airline. I know, it sort of dampened my feeling-backpacker-mode. haha


How was your own Indian Visa application? I'd love to hear your own stories and tips!




Posted on : September 8, 2011



--------------------------------------------------------------

NEW BLOG!

Hey everyone! I'm moving to a new blog address : www.angelicacruzph.com
Same content but with some changes in design and layout. I'll still be keeping this one but will begin posting new stuff in the new blog. See you there!

You can still find me at the following:
Email : anggetravels.blog@gmail.com